It’s no secret that the events and hospitality industries are historically known to be unsustainable. In this episode, host Reyna Caraveo and guest Lou Marrocco of Brandywine Events discuss event sustainability and how it’s changed, ways event professionals can progress efforts in sustainability and continue to make a positive impact economically and ecologically.
In this episode we discuss:
- Event industry efforts in event sustainability before COVID
- Benefits and negative impacts on sustainability since moving to virtual events due to the impact of COVID on the industry.
- Ideas on post COVID event sustainability.
Links to things mentioned in the episode:
- Food Connect
- Green Restaurant Association
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Meet Better – 167 Easy Ways to Make Your Events More Environmentally and Socially Responsible
- 4 Ways Covid-19 Has Changed Event Sustainability
About Our Guest:
Lou has had a passion for the hospitality industry since he was a child. In his career he has worked on both the east and west coast as the special events manager, hotel beverage manager, food and beverage manager, and ultimately as the owner and founder of Brandywine Events. Brandywine Events is the industry leader for incorporating sustainability, wellness, and guest service practices into the event industry. During his time as an off premise caterer in Washington D.C., Lou was involved in four Presidential Inaugurations and later involved in the birthday celebration of Jacque Cousteau.
Recently Lou has been asked to speak on a topic that he has been active with promoting called “Greening your Food and Beverage Meetings and Events”. His presentation in Chicago for Affordable Meetings did demonstrate to the planners attending how to be more sustainable while also saving budget dollars. He has also spoken about sustainability at NACE Philadelphia and ILEA Dallas chapter meetings. Find Brandywine Events on social media! Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest
Learn more about The Event Umbrella Podcast and listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify and Stitcher!